Top Insider Tips for Bagging a Perfect Last Minute Family-Friendly Holiday
Here we are into August, and if you didn’t book yourselves a break you’re starting to regret it now, right?
We opted for an early UK holiday this year – and we had two properly great weeks in the Lake District… but now I’ll admit we’re all eyeing the calendar and wondering if budgets and work schedules will allow us to squeeze in a few days in the sunshine too…
So if you’re considering making a last minute dash for it, here’s an exciting set of industry-insider top tips from HotelsCombined on nabbing the absolutely perfect last minute family-friendly holiday (HotelsCombined is the world’s leading global hotel price comparison website and mobile app – they’ll find you the best accommodation deals from all the top travel sites with one simple search).
1) Brexit-busting breaks
With post-24 June currency changes, it may be tricky to tell which destinations offer best bang for buck. Those parents still keen to for a family break abroad should consider places where the pound remains strong:
- Norway – Experience a city break in the capital of Oslo and spend four nights at the 4* Radisson-Blu Hotel Alna-Oslo from 15 August for just £332 per family of four (£20.75pppn).
- Mexico –Enjoy a beach break in Cancun and stay at the 5* family-friendly Moon Palace Golf Resort & Spa from 15 August for seven nights at just £1,809 per family of four (£113pppn).
- South Africa – Spend seven nights at the 4* Lagoon Beach Hotel & Apartments in Cape Town from 15 August for just £530 per family of four (£33pppn).
2) Remain in Blighty
Staycations are up 13% this year* and searches for London hotels by UK travellers jumped 22% after the EU Referendum result. For those families preferring to play it safe and stay in the UK for their summer holiday, here are some of the best family friendly hotels right here at home:
- One Aldwych, London – Situated in London’s West End, this 5* luxury boutique hotel offers a chlorine-free swimming pool featuring underwater music with exotic fish and sea creatures projected around the pool: children will love the sensation of swimming in the ocean. Meanwhile, adults can head to the spa, gym and the on-site cinema which offers champagne!
- Celtic Manor Resort, Wales: This upscale country house and golf resort offers unrivalled spa and golf facilities for the adults, as well as a dedicated crèche and kids’ activities, babysitting services and a kids club. There’s also activities that the whole family can enjoy together such as rope-swinging adventure ‘forest jump’, adventure golf and laser combat.
3) Keep the kids entertained for parent private time
Opt for resorts that offer amenities like kids’ clubs and on-site water parks, as well as options for the grownups such as golf clubs and spas for some ‘alone time’ away from the little ones. Consider:
- Bovey Castle Hotel, Dartmoor: The whole family can enjoy a stay at 5* Bovey Castle Hotel. Children will love Bovey Rangers, offering supervised activity sessions for 7 to 14 year olds. With the kids carefully supervised, adults can enjoy horseback riding, an off-road Land Rover experience, or relax in the spa.
- Gleneagles Hotel, Auchterarder, Scotland – The Gleneagles® Hotel is a magnificent ‘French chateau’ set amid gently rolling hills in the heart of Scotland. The kids’ club, equestrian school, craft area, playroom and more will keep young minds engaged. Meanwhile, adults can indulge in a treatment in the spa, head to the three championship golf courses (which are among the best in the world), have a go at clay pigeon shooting or fish in the trout lochs.
4) Save on accommodation. Spend on fun.
Staying in-resort at a theme park may be costly, so stay at an affordable family-friendly option nearby:
- Foxhills Club & Resort – Located just four miles from Thorpe Park, this luxury country house hotel set on a 400-acre estate in the Surrey countryside offers a youth club, a family swimming pool, three quality golf courses, an award-winning spa and four delicious restaurants. A new playground was opened by TV presenters Angelica Bell and Michael Underwood in May.
- Heywood Hall – Situated just two miles from Alton Towers, Heywood Hall is a family-run property offering a unique apartment-style accommodation that is secure and spacious. Adults and kids alike will love the jungle and Mediterranean themed rooms! Onsite facilities include a hot tub and a sauna (ideal for mum and dad!).
5) Bank in on bank holidays
Maximise annual leave allowance: savour nine straight days off with only four booked off work over the Bank Holiday. Clever time keepers might consider rewarding their cunning with one of these aspirational family breaks which offer savings:
- Mallorca – A nine-night stay arriving 26 August at the 3* BelleVue Club in Mallorca costs just £652 (£18pppn), based on two adults and two children sharing a Studio on a self-catering basis, saving £730! Overlooking a beautiful lake, this large complex is set out like an Andalusian village and features eight pools, a go-karting track and a variety of buffet and à la carte restaurants.
- Rhodes – A nine-night stay arriving 26 August at the 4* Best Western Plaza Hotel Rhodes City in Rhodes costs just £853 (£23pppn), based on two adults and two children sharing a Standard Room on a bed & breakfast basis, saving £595! Situated just moments from the beach and a ten minute walk from the Colossus of Rhodes, this modern hotel features an outdoor pool, a hot tub, a cocktail bar and a sundeck.
6) Och Aye, Let’s Fly
Consider a Scottish departure to save some cash. Scotland’s school holidays (25 June – 17 August) fall differently from that of the rest of the UK. Fly from a Scottish airport at the end of August when their kids are back at school to secure flight bargains!
- Cyprus – A seven-night holiday arriving 26 August at the 4* Eleni Holiday Village in Paphos costs just £466.44pp based on two adults and two children sharing a Studio on a self-catering basis, saving £204! The price includes return flights from Glasgow via cheapflights.co.uk. This 4* hotel offers family-friendly amenities including a kids pool and a kids club. There’s also an adults swimming pool and a bar.
- Lanzarote – A seven-night stay arriving 26 August at the 4* Vitalclass Lanzarote Spa & Wellness Resort in Costa Teguise costs just £407pp, based on two adults and two children sharing a Junior Suite on a bed & breakfast basis, saving £608! Includes return flights from Glasgow via cheapflights.co.uk. This 4* hotel offers amenities such as an outdoor and indoor pool, tennis courts, a Spa and a restaurant. There’s an Aqua Park within walking distance.